Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Hot Buttered Soul #13

Hi! I am Khayyam and this is my set from my radio show Hot Buttered Soul on CFCR 90.5FM. Every other Tuesday from one o'clock until two o'clock (round these parts) I get to close the door on what's out there and put on headphones and listen to what's in here *points to chest and taps a few times softly*

I was asked to define what soul was just before the show. And on my way to the station it stuck in my head. What is soul?! It's a such a wide selection of bass guitar riffs, to melodious voices and rhythm... definitely rhythm. What does that translate in my being? Hmmm... well, the only way I can describe it is it's music for the soul that allows you to feel the music rather that hearing it or listening to it. Feeling it. Yup, that's what it is to me. That music that makes you feel like your heads bobbin' cause your neck knows it's phat.

I was challenged this week as well as inspired for this set. You see, I now belong to this thing called the #hashtagmafia. What is it you ask? Simply put, This Thing Of Ours which is translated from an old Italian nomenclature. I'll leave it be for you to ask the next question ;)

Without further adieu, let me introduce some mellifluous "friends of mine" and if you're part of the #hashtagmafia, then they would be "friends of ours". You've probably heard some of these musicians in your favorite gangster or bad ass movies you've seen. Well, just some of them which are pretty recognizable... but you get the idea. A fusion of soul with a gangster limp:


John Murphy & David Hughes | James Brown | Ice Cube | 10cc | Dennis Farina | Nancy Sinatra | Sarah Vaughn | Bobby Byrd | Soul Rebellion Orchestra | Maceo Parker & The Macks | The Specials | Stretch | Ol' Dirty Bastard | Gwen McRae | Tom Waits
The titles are in the flow somewhere and if you listen along then you can play along - the name of the game is Name That Tune! ;)

Shake That #Hash

When
milk turns out to be
sour, sure enough you're
gonna see the payback.

You know how we do it,
invite all the friends for
a dreadlock holiday & bbq.

So what's with Avi's declaration
to go get people got, bang bang?!

Fool rolling about with his
Peter Gunn hanging out the
back of his tight, white hot pants?!
Crazy Fool.

You need to find him? His
is the radio spot, cross the
tracks past the ghost town on
the right. You can't miss it.

So why did you do it, you
got your money so why'd you have
to go and put the rub out on him?

No one will ever see that fool
again, way down in the hole.

@iamkhayyam and that was a special Cosa Nostra edition of Hot, Buttered Soul.

Some past excursions for your listening pleasure...

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying the groove. Thanks! #hashtagmafia #forlife

    The BlackMamba

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your contribution... may blessings be upon you ;)

 
Clicky Web Analytics