Sunday, September 21, 2008

Three weeks in...

And I'm out. I've gone on a roller coaster ride while fasting this month. I'm 21 days in and I have to tell you this last week has arrived with a pack of unwelcome visitors. Which reminds me of the following Rumi poem, entitled...

The Guesthouse.
This being human is a guest house
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.
I've been what seems like hell and back smiling at each guest as they come by unannounced. Each one I have to tend to with care and when they do not show it back I struggle and fall, step right back up and muster from somewhere... a smile ;)

In one week I will be done this quest... my unexpected vision quest. The darkness shrouded the sky and green pastures desaturated into a colorless picture. The feeling was ominous and constricting. Then by if some miracle when I could go no further, a beam of sunlight appeared through the clouds and began a wonderful painting through my windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your contribution... may blessings be upon you ;)

 
Clicky Web Analytics