Sunday, August 03, 2008

Accepting dowries...

There was a time that I was so far removed from my family that I had never even met some. That all changed with a titillating twist of tides. I now know of my family and continue to grow closer. That's why it's been so great amongst family as we join Ahsan and Paula in their announcement to the world and their commitment to each other.

I've only been to a few desi (brown folk :) weddings before and I have to say they are never what I would imagine. Even the people who look like they detest fun like a sickness recovered from their illness and were dancing and singing about like they were six years old. It was fantastic! And here is a link to the photos that the photographers took during the festivities. [PHOTOS]

My family is big. And it was nice to see how big it was in at least North America. Growing up I had the opportunity to visit Mississauga a couple of times to visit my chacha Iftikhar and chachi Gul and my two cousins Gulraze and Gulrukh. Then some nephews whom one of which is getting married this weekend, Ahsan (Sonu) and Najam (Namnam). In the brackets are their names as how I knew of them in my younger years. It's funny how a lot of people coin the nicknames in place of their parent given, universe chosen names. I remember this one mate I had in school, Mubashar. He introduced me to him as, "Hi, my name is Mubashar, but you can call me Joel." I thought it was the funniest thing... Now that that digression has been resolved, back to the family. All of that cast with their respective parents graced us for very little time in the grand scheme of things. So I never really had a strong sense of familial belonging or responsibility even.

I have to admit going from a few close family members that I did have interactions with, to a hundred within a very short amount of time really did a number on me. It was overwhelming to try and keep up, so I do what I always do... recluse. So I have been in yet another cocoon only to be woken by a marriage and a new baby to knit me in further. So I am blessed to witness family getting together and having fun together with a little more frequency... feels like I'm a kid again ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your contribution... may blessings be upon you ;)

 
Clicky Web Analytics