Saturday, September 13, 2008

Sunup to sundown...

So I have committed to fasting for thirty days. From sunrise to sunset I don't eat or drink anything. Why you may ask?! It is the month of Ramadan...

Ramadan or Ramazan (Arabic: رمضان, Ramaḍān) is a Muslim religious observance that takes place during the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, believed to be the month in which the Qur'an was revealed to Angel Gabriel, to deliver it to Prophet Muhammad. It is the Islamic month of fasting (sawm), in which participating Muslims do not eat or drink anything from dawn until sunset. Fasting is meant to teach the person patience, sacrifice and humility. Ramadan is a time to fast for the sake of God, and to offer more prayer than usual. During Ramadan Muslims ask forgiveness for past sins, pray for guidance into the future, ask for help in refraining from everyday evils and try to purify themselves through self-restraint and good deeds.

There are many reasons why I have chosen to do this. First, I've never done it for an entire month my entire life. I've made a week here, maybe a week there... a day slipped in just to make myself feel like I made an effort. I have to be honest with you, I never understood it. I'm beginning to see the self revelations that come with choosing to exercise will power. Secondly, and most important in my decision process... just to see if I could do it. Simple.

It's absolutely fascinating witnessing your thought processes when it comes to a necessity like food and withholding it from yourself, consciously refraining from eating or drinking anything. I found myself wanting to numb all that I could feel. I found ways of doing it, this time it was a new television series. Dexter. The story is about a serial killer who works as a blood analyst for the police department and only kills bad guys, a dark enforcer of sorts. It's bizarre that I would even be interested in watching such a show filled with darkness and blood, I got hooked... again. And funny enough from watching some of the episodes I've gained some insights into human nature and the kinds of things that can captivate us. Plus, I wasn't eating or drinking food... I was craving it and Dexter craved to kill, I found myself empathizing with him. Not like I'm fascinated with how artistically he disposes of his victims and the absolute attention to detail that he meticulously takes with every kill ;) I'm just kidding around... really though, it's a very well done show with great direction, imagery and that beginning sequence of Dexter cooking breakfast is outstanding! Every sound of eggs sizzling, knives cutting meat, sauce pouring out on to the plate... all so sharply edged to make your hair stand on end. If you can begin to get people to react that way to a sequence of images and sounds... I say well done.

Another reason I started watching Dexter was that I fell ill. After a week of fasting, my immune system was running on empty. It helped some of the time pass when it felt like someone had punched my legs like Eddie and Charlie Murphy did Rick James. I'm feeling much better now and out from the dark shroud of Dexter, fasting and being sick. Just a reminder to find balance in all that is...

I'm still truckin after two weeks, half way up the mountain... I'm gonna make it all the way. Without getting too deep into the depths of discovery, let's just say I'm on a journey... on my way to a pilgrimage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your contribution... may blessings be upon you ;)

 
Clicky Web Analytics